Thursday, August 28, 2008

Stuff to do near Montreal

Well, sort of near Montreal. Things are pretty far apart in that part of the world.
After talking with my Dad a bit, I've put together a list of potential destinations for Ron when he's done in Montreal. The map below shows most of the Great Lakes region, with various numbered locations which I will explain below. I'm not sure how you want to travel, but taking a rental car across the US/Canada border may be tricky, so if you plan to drive, keep this in mind. You can also always fly from Montreal to Chicago, Detroit, Grand Rapids, or Traverse City, and we'll figure out how to get you to your next destination.

One other general point to make is that there are likely to be some cold nights (close to freezing?) in October.

1 Montreal, the starting point. This is about a 10 hr drive from Blind River.
2 Adirondack Park: This is about 2 hrs from Montreal (requires crossing the U.S./Canada border). There are ~2000 miles of hiking, hundreds of lakes. I don't even know where to begin to say what there is to do here. You can find lots of info, including maps, on the link. Wikipedia also has a lot to say. The park is just north of Ben Burrington's hometown of Oneonta, New York. Also note that on the way to the park from Montreal, east of the road is Lake Champlain, which is scenic, but I don't think there is a lot of hiking trails. I haven't been able to contact Ben about the Adirondacks, but the mountains and the park are popular, so it could be that sections of the park are quite touristy, and others are more rustic.
3 Niagara Falls: I'm sure you've heard of this before. It's about 6.5 hrs from the Adirondacks. It's at the border of U.S./Canada as well. I don't think there's much hiking, camping etc., but it's worth seeing. The view from the U.S. side is pretty good, but the bigger falls are on the Canada side.
4 Algonquin Provinical Park: This should be pretty good for hiking and camping. My Dad recommends it. It might be late enough in September that the trees have begun to change color. It's about a 4 hr drive from Niagara to here, and 6 hours from Montreal. Look out for the bears.
5 Blind River: You're welcome to go there and stay at any time while you're here. Just let my parents know so that Dave can let you in. My parents will be there from Oct 4-12 (Dad can you confirm?), and Keren and I will try to be up there for at least a weekend during this time. Blind Rivver is about 5 hrs from Algonquin. Look out for the moose. They bite.
6 Lake Superior Provincial Park: My family went canoeing and camping here several years ago -- if you feel like canoeing hardcore, this probably the best place to go. It's about 3.5 hrs from Blind River. Interestingly, there's a train that runs along this route -- maybe my Dad can say a bit more about it...
7 Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore: The best way to see the rocks is on a ferry, but if I remember, there are hiking trails and camping. Not a lot, but some. This is something to check out a bit more online. It's back in Michigan, so you'll need to cross the border at Sault Ste. Marie. This is about a 4 hr drive from Blind River.
8 Isle Royal National Park: I've never been there, but this could be amazing, and quite beautiful. Since it's hard to get to, it could be adventurous. It's an island out in Lake Superior, technically in the United States, but geographically closer to Canada (Canada could invade any day, so look out). Of course you have to take a ferry to get there. There's some discussion on it, and some links, on Wikipedia. The ferry in Houghton, MI is about 7.5 hrs from Blind River, and the ferry ride is probably ~3hrs. Look out for the wolves.
9 Cadillac: Just a point of reference. Look out for the mosquitoes.
10 Chicago: Another point of reference. Keren and I could potentially join you if you decide to go to the Pictured Rocks or Isle Royal. Both places are 6-8 hrs from Chicago. Look out for the drive-bys.

Well, that's it for now. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful. If you get an idea in mind of what you might want to do, let us know, and we can probably help with logisitics. If anybody else feels like chiming in, please do. And let me know if you have any quesitons, Ron. I hope to hear back from Ben Burrington about the Adirondacks. I'll update this when I do.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At Thu Aug 28, 11:56:00 PM EDT, Blogger RonSha said...

WOW
great.

You are so helpful. thanks.

I will make a rout from ¨da list 2¨, and let you know of anything i will decide.
For the time been, location 1 is for sure.
Also I will be in the niagra falls for sure..

Internet is beeing disconected.

Chau to all..

 
At Fri Aug 29, 03:37:00 PM EDT, Blogger dadK said...

Yes, we plan on being at the cabin from Oct 4 to Oct 10. If you are in Chicago before that, Ron, we can take you along up and bring you back.

Lake Superior Provincial Park would be high on my list, especially if I wanted to do any canoeing. It is about 2 hours north of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. http://www.ontarioparks.com/ENGLISH/lakes.html or Wikipedia.

You can also take a one-day train trip (the Algoma Central) from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. It leaves around 8-9 am, goes up through the Agawa Canyon, turns around (only in Canada) and comes back the same day. Spectacular views of the wilderness! http://www.agawacanyontourtrain.com/

Hope this helps. I'll write more if I think of more.

Looks like you're having fun down south! Hope you don't like it so much that you don't want to come up north. Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures.

Have fun!

 
At Sat Aug 30, 10:15:00 AM EDT, Blogger dalia said...

Good work, Ben!!!!!
Thank You Sandy and Garry for being so kind and generous to Ron.I wish we could be there too.We suffer so much from our summer-I dont remember such bad weather ever! Are you sure you have been here last summer? You must be mad!!!It was very cruel of us to invite you to Israrl on August, Wasn't it?

 
At Mon Sep 01, 09:39:00 PM EDT, Blogger bk said...

Has it been really hot in Israel, Dalia? We've had a warm summer in Chicago, but not Israel-hot.

My parents are in Canada the last two weekends, and I think my mom stayed up there for the last week and a half, so she has been hard to get ahold of. I think the weather is much cooler up there, but more mosquito-y.

 
At Tue Sep 02, 09:44:00 AM EDT, Blogger Sandy K. said...

I did stay in Canada all week while Gary came home to work for 4 days. Lucky me! The weather was warm and sunny and the bugs have died back quite a bit so they really weren't a problem.

Looking forward to seeing Ron in October. Are you sure you can't come Dalia? It will be cool and beautiful then I think.

 
At Tue Sep 02, 12:34:00 PM EDT, Blogger dalia said...

If the LOTO will surrprise me- I will surrprise you.I will be on the first flight, if I will not be melted from the heat by then.We miss you all very much, incloding Gready.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home