Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Michigan weather :(


We've had a very bad afternoon here. About 3:30 EDT I got home from some shopping and noticed that the sky looked very dark. I checked the radar online and there was a warning for a severe thundestorm north of us, heading further north. It was supposed to miss us, but within a few minutes it had developed right over us. First rain, then hail--lots of it. Much of the hail was about the size of an American dime in diameter. It shredded many of my outdoor plants and knocked many leaves off the trees. Meanwhile, it was raining like crazy.
As you can see in the first picture, there was actually steam rising off the hail. It was about 22C when the rain started, and 15 minutes later the temperature had dropped below15C. I'm kind of upset because most of my flowering plants, my hosta, and my ferns are now not much more than empty stalks. And I was just thinking how nice the yard was going to look for Kevin and Megan's wedding shower. :(
I shouldn't complain, I guess. There was no damage to the house and fortunately, I had parked my car inside the garage when I got home, or it would be peppered with dents right now. I talked to someone at Gary's office, which is about 5 miles from here, and they had not had any hail yet, I can hope that this was a very isolated storm that did not damage a lot of farmer's crops.
Don't worry, this is strictly a summer phenomenon in Michigan. In the winter we have snow, which is much nicer, and there are no plants to be destroyed.

3 Comments:

At Tue Jun 27, 11:21:00 PM EDT, Blogger bk said...

What a mess! When I saw the picutres, I thought "snow" first. At least it didn't break any windows or hurt the yellow dog or the cats. I don't remember hail like that in a long time.

At least you don't have to shovel it...

 
At Wed Jun 28, 03:57:00 AM EDT, Blogger keren said...

yea. how long did it take it to melt?

 
At Wed Jun 28, 09:10:00 AM EDT, Blogger Sandy K. said...

There was still a little bit of it in the shadows when we went to bed last night at about 10:00. Gary said it looked like we got it worse than other places he saw yesteday, but the local weather reporter said there were some very small areas that had golf-ball sized hail near here, so it could have been worse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home