Thursday, June 22, 2006

Canadian Fishing Techniques



This past weekend Sandy & I celebrated the anniversary of our wedding by going north! It was another good weekend at the cabin.

We got up late Friday morning and drank coffee and watched the lake (it was raining) until 11 am.

At about 2 pm Sandy decided she was just dying to go fishing, so I put the boat in, and we went out for a couple of hours. Sadly, we caught no fish, but had a lot of good discussion about different fishing methodologies, i.e. Candadian, Russian (see earlier post regarding Russian vs. Canadian technique), trolling, jigging, and live vs. artificial baits, etc. Needless to say, after 33 years of marriage, we didn't agree on everything.

On Saturday, while Sandy and Brenda went for a long ride on the 4-wheelers (ATV's), I invited a true man of the bush (Dave's father) to go fishing, and perhaps introduce me to some of the finer points of Northern Pike fishing.



I was the student and he was the teacher. We caught lots of fish and threw the really big ones back.



We actually held a fishing derby that afternoon, with Jerry and me in one boat and Dave and Jennifer in another. Yes, Jennifer is trying to make me kiss her fish.




Nothing follows a great day fishing like a good fish fry. With the help of a couple of neighbors we cleaned and cooked the fish......




and ate them!

...and here's a little addendum to the trip. We have a signpost up in Canada pointing to various landmarks, cities, and Galactic places. The list of significant places has grown enough that they began a new signpost, including the cities of Tel Aviv, Israel and Aberdeen, Scotland. The latter made the list because Dave has a cousin (or is a niece?) that is marrying a guy from Scotland! Hopefully you can read some of the other places on it.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At Sun Jun 25, 12:59:00 PM EDT, Blogger keren said...

Awesome!! looks like you have more luck with fishing when the fish aren't all frozen... it must be easier for them to get to the bait, not having to swim through solid ice ;)
i am still waiting to catch my first canadian fish (i caught a couple of piranas in the jungles of Peru... but they were obviously very hungry... does that count?). maybe this sumer?

 
At Sun Jun 25, 01:04:00 PM EDT, Blogger keren said...

Re. the addendum, i appreciate the arrow pointing to my home! maybe you could put another one pointing to Chicago (my next home).

who calculated the distance to polaris?

 
At Sun Jun 25, 08:46:00 PM EDT, Blogger bk said...

We have yet to do some hardcore fishing in Canada. Really, you have to get up at like 6 am, just when the fish are waking up and ready for breakfast. OR, you can go later at night. I think I know which one you prefer...

At the reunion today, my Uncle Jack said we have to come over to their house and fish off the pontune boat while you're here. So that's yet another chance to catch fish, but those won't be Canadian.

I don't know who calculated the distance to Polaris. I think it's just a darn good guess.

 
At Sun Jun 25, 08:50:00 PM EDT, Blogger bk said...

BTW, Matt and I began to think about the next project in Canada. Previously, about 3 years ago, we built a trebuchet - basically a big machine for flinging big rocks and stuff at castle walls.

I think we have something in mind, and there will soon be a post. We plan to work on the project in Canada at the end of August. It will probably be our last chance before next spring...we'll see what we can pull together.

 
At Sun Jun 25, 09:04:00 PM EDT, Blogger bk said...

One more thing. This post is composed in true fisherman style: full of BS. It's good to understand the language the fisherman use in Canada (or Michigan), so you can learn when to believe them and when to realize they're full of ...stuff....

Examples:
"Sandy really wanted to go fishing"
It will be a cold day in hell before this ever happens.

"We threw the big fish back"
Uh hu. In their book, "big" is about 5 cm. "Really big" is about 10 cm, like the fish seen here. Now you see why they threw back the "big" fish.

"Jennifer is trying to make me kiss the fish".
Americans (at least the ones on fishing TV shows) sometimes kiss their fish...and I don't think you would have to "make" my dad kiss the fish.

 
At Mon Jun 26, 09:06:00 AM EDT, Blogger Sandy K. said...

Re: distance to Polaris. Not much calculating involved. I looked it up in a book. It's up there because when we first started visiting Canada, our neighbor's son Jerry (then about 13) insisted that he knew for certain that Poloris had "burned out" and wasnt' up in the sky anymore. We can't let him forget that.
Concerning Ben's definition of Canadian fishing terms: He's pretty much on target. It was not my idea to go fishing, but I graciously agreed to go along and watch Dad spend 45 minutes rigging up lines and outriggers for 30 minutes of trolling. His "fish finder" was marking the elusive Canadian Bogus Fish in great numbers the whole time, but they weren't biting.
"Big fish" is indeed a term applied to fish too small to keep legally. "Really big fish" are the ones that don't fall through the holes in the net.
I haven't seen Dad kiss any fish yet, which is why we are still married.
Don't worry, Keren, a sign for Chicago will be posted when the time comes.

 
At Mon Jun 26, 03:47:00 PM EDT, Blogger koesterk said...

I feel that this is a blatant attack on fishermen. I have caught many a fish and have never ever lied. I can't even fathom how you could say these things. And if the fish finder is marking fish they are there. If it's a fish finder, it wouldn't make the marks on the screen fish shaped if it were something else. And no this is not the same logic as "If I go to Church, it makes me religious, therefore if I am in my garage, I am a car".
I have come up with two possible solutions for the issue of the fish finder.
1. Animal activists placing decoy fish in the water similar to decoys used in spearing fish.
2. Evil mutant sea bass. I think we all know where that one is going.

 
At Mon Jun 26, 11:08:00 PM EDT, Blogger ERS said...

Often the ones that look like a stack of fish on the fish finder are really sharks with lazer beams attached to their heads, not to be confused with the giant concra-log that is dragging behind the boat because someone forgot to pull it in the last time we stopped.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home