Saturday, March 25, 2006

What we do for a living

Happy Saturday everyone. It's the one weekend day we all share on both sides of the pond. I decided to put something on here not related to weddings, just for a change of scenery. I thought it would be cool to begin to take a web-based tour of the different things each of us are up to. This is mostly job-related (because that's the easiest for me to find) but it's not restricted to that. So if you have some hobby or something, and there's a website you regularly visit, let me know either by email, or just post it here. I'll be adding to this page. I'm just kind of going through people randomly here.

Erin: She's an environmental engineer, working at Lakeshore Environmental over in Grand Haven Michigan, which is about 2.5 hours west of Ann Arbor, on Lake Michigan. Here we see her keeping the world safe from asbestos:


She really likes to brag about this part of the job, but I think she mostly does other things than asbestos removal.

Matt: He's Erin's husband. He's into all kinds of stuff, so I'm sure he will point us to some of his hobbies. He's a student at Grand Valley State University. He just got accepted to their physical therapy school, and we're very proud of him for this. Now that he's in school there, I think it's fine if you want to email him all of your ailments. But please don't post your ailments here, especially if you're Kevin.

Oddi: Oddi is the head engineer at Prigat, which I believe is the largest fruit juice company in Israel. I visited one of their plants with him and Keren. It's on a kibbutz a little ways out of Tel Aviv, and it's quite an operation. I think he poured me the best glass of orange juice I've ever had. This was my favorite machine in the plant:


I think it's the step where the oranges are directed into a set of machines that peels them and takes out the core...hmmmm. Maybe I should make another post with the pictures we took when we there...

Dalia:I think we've all seen clearly that Dalia is an artist. Our living rooms have her paintings in them. We can only stare in amazement at them, there are no words...
She has an online gallery you should visit if you haven't already. It's a really well-done website. I think they're even better when she takes you through them personally. We did something like this last June. The paintings were part of an exhibition that told a story.

Omer: Omer is a computer-programmer with, I think, a specialty graphic design and animation. Check it out: http://www.omersharon.com/. I don't know if the link is in the page, but he has a pretty funny animated movie of a guy working out. I think (but I'm not sure) that he and/or Keren made Dalia's webpage too. Oh, he likes Benedictine - that was my birthday present from him and Dikla.

Dikla: Dikla works in the pharmaceutical industry in Israel, at Cato. She has a Master's in Genetics. Last time I talked with her, she was involved in translating documents for the company from English to Hebrew (or the reverse). Her English is indistinguishable from American English, so I think she's their expert.

Dori: Dori is almost 2 years old (May 17th). Dikla and Omer are his parents. His Hebrew already is better than mine...but that's not saying much. He likes to do things at 100 miles per hour, and play with his Safta when he can. Oh, we both think the word "gigeet" is funny. Gigeet! :)

Safta:Safta ("Grandma" for the Americans) emmigrated to Israel from, I think, Holland (right?). She makes killer kreplach (perogies to the Americans). I've had a good time learning about Israeli politics and the history of the country from her, so she seems to keep up pretty well on current events.

Ron: Ron just finished his obligatory tour of duty in the Israeli army (there's a button for English on there Americans). He's thinking about what to do next. I know he's been out hiking, and playing a lot of musical instruments. Sometimes I think Kevin is the American version of Ron...or Ron is the Israeli version of Kevin. He could be the next member of the Matt and Gary band in Michigan... [in the picture: Ron's friend]


Megan: Megan is Kevin's fiancee. She's a student in the School of Education at the University of Michigan, so she has to spend most of her time studying...and planning a wedding too! She happens to be the sister of one my best friends, and I will never understand how my friend allowed her to marry my brother...

Sandy: I have to be careful what I say about my mom here, because she has a tongue like a razor on the web (or is it a forked tongue?). I can't remember. She brews beer, and plays the Irish whistle, and probably writes on blogs and websites all over the web. She also keeps us in contact with each other and with the rest of the family.

Gary: I can't even begin to list all the stuff he does. You can start by looking in the margin of this blog at the "Canada,eh?" link to see some of his adventures. He goes on a lot of fishing trips with Dave in Canada, but I don't think the fish like him too much. His real job is that he's a veterinarian, working on primarily dairy cows. He's got a good size practice, the Airport Animal Clinic, where they've just hired a couple of more vets, bringing the total to 7.

Kevin: Hmmmmm. Where to begin. You see, Kevin has ailments (see Matt above). He's a real piece of work. He works at Whole Foods, where he runs the beer department. An interesting fact about him is that he's the only person ever beaten at checkers by a bag of hammers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home