Thursday, September 14, 2006

Shana Tova

The holiday season is just around the corner, so this is the time to say שנה טובה SHANA TOVA (happy new year), from Dori Omer and myself (Dikla).
It is also the time for Ben's quarterly sing-a-long:
Happy New Year שנה טובה by Levin Kepnis (Dori already knows this one, so you better get cracking, Jack!)
שנה הלכה
שנה באה
אני כפי ארימה
שנה טובה לך אבא
שנה טובה לך אמא
שנה טובה
שנה טובה
(A year has gone
A year has come
And I will raise my hands
A happy new year to you Father
A happy new year to you Mother
A happy new year
A happy new Year)
And then there is one of my personal favorites- its called 12 moons שְׁנֵים-עָשָׂר יְרָחִים by Neomi Shemer:
בְּתִשְׁרֵי נָתַן הַדֶּקֶל
פְּרִי שָׁחוּם נֶחְמָד
בְּחֶשְׁוָן יָרַד יוֹרֶה
וְעַל גַּגִּי רָקַד
בְּכִסְלֵו נַרְקִיס הוֹפִיעַ
בְּטֵבֵת בָּרָד
וּבִשְׁבָט חַמָּה הִפְצִיעָה
לְיוֹם אֶחָד
בַּאֲדָר עָלָה נִיחוֹחַ
מִן הַפַּרְדֵּסִים
בְּנִיסָן הוּנְפוּ בְּכֹחַ
כָּל הַחֶרְמֵשִׁים
בְּאִיָּר הַכֹּל צָמַח
וּבְסִיוָן הִבְכִּיר
בְּתַמּוּז וְאָב שָׂמַחְנוּ
אַחַר קָצִיר
,תִּשְׁרֵי, חֶשְׁוָן, כִּסְלֵו, טֵבֵת
חָלְפוּ, עָבְרוּ בִּיעָף,
גַּם שְׁבָט, אֲדָר, נִיסָן, אִיָּר
סִיוָן, תַּמּוּז וְאָב
וּבְבוֹא אֱלוּל אֵלֵינוּ
רֵיחַ סְתָו עָלָה
וְהִתְחַלְנוּ אֶת שִׁירֵנוּ
מֵהַתְחָלָה
It recalls what happens in each month of the year (in terms of weather and agriculture), but I'm gonna leave that for Ben to translate (you'll need help, its not easy - but hey, at least we moved on from Hebrew 101 ). I left the vouls in there for you (actually I don't know how to remove them, so you lucked out).
Anyway, enough with the chit chat, whats really important is that we all have a very healthy year ,a very happy year, and some peace and quite.
Lots of Love

2 Comments:

At Fri Sep 15, 10:07:00 PM EDT, Blogger bk said...

Nice post, Dikla :). Thanks for the holiday wishes, and the best to everyone in the New Year on your side of the pond.

You know, I was going to reply in Hebrew, but my keyboard doesn't have the characters, otherwise I would totally do it ;).

Seriously, one of my big goals for this visit is to focus on my language skills. Now that I'm done, I will be able to try my Hebrew out on a regular basis. My wish for the new year is that I don't butcher your language too badly while I'm practicing. I'm past being embarrassed, and I'll have lots more time on my hands, so thanks for the next quarterly puzzle :).

 
At Sun Sep 17, 10:42:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dori and company said...

Don't wory Ben.
Most Israelis don't speak Hebrew well either....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home